Use this feature to…
Make your App Private
Use this feature to…
|Make your app accessible to a pre-selected list of users.|
|Monitor who has downloaded your private app.|
|Revoke access to your app from previously approved users.|
Added bonus? When you export your app data such as poll results, there won’t be any anonymous responses – know how your participants interacted with your app.
Watch it in Action
Already a Yapp paying customer? Read about how to make an app private.
Other Feature Updates
- No more faceless posts! Your users can create profiles with photos right from their mobile devices which means no more faceless posting to News Feed.
- Set the locale for your app to change how times and dates appear
- Choose the default level of push notifications your users get
- ICYMI: Export content from your Schedule, People, CrowdPics, Poll and News Feed pages.
and much more coming this year!
Try Yapp‘s award-wining, self-service platform for free. Then subscribe to a paid plan to make your app private and start sharing it with your hand-selected list of users. Plans start at just $249. Subscribe by 1/20/2016 to save. On 1/21 we’ll be moving to 2016 prices. New plans will start at $399 so subscribe now to save!
Many Yapp customers ask us how to increase adoption rate for their apps. Our response? A promo video is a must-have! There is no denying that video is becoming the medium of choice for consumers online. According to HighQ, in 2017 video will take up 69% of consumer internet traffic!
Watch the below promo video from The Alliance about their app touting how easy it is to download Yapp.
When it comes to promoting your app, the key is to start communication about your app weeks if not months prior to the event via several channels that your attendees prefer. One of the best ways to promote your app, create hype, and provide a quick tutorial for it, is to create a short promotional video. It is the best way to communicate the benefits, show the key features and even add your brand personality to it, all in seconds.
Promotional videos, when done right, can help build upon the other channels you are already promoting your app through such as website, email, social media, print-outs and even in-person. In fact, the combination of content with a clear, short, interesting video is the formula for increasing adoption rate.
With that said, we understand that you may not have the time or resources to create a promotional video for your app. That’s what we’re here for!
We’ll create a custom promotional video for your app. Simply email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your request and we’ll get the process started right away.
How did we get to December already? Last year at this time we had just launched our paid subscription plans and now, thanks to the amazing professionals that chose Yapp, over 350,000 apps have been created on our award-winning self-service platform! This past year we added new features to your apps and app creation, upgraded our iOS and Android apps, and re-designed our homepage to better reflect our focus on empowering app creation for your events and groups.
2015 has been a big year for Yapp and we couldn’t have done this without our 50,000+ app creators. You all are the reason we’re here and we don’t want that to go unsaid. So thank you.
We have many exciting things in the works for 2016. We’d also love your input into what is most important to you for your event apps next year – email us at email@example.com with feedback and feature requests.
On behalf of the Yapp team, have a very happy holiday season and a fantastic new year!
|Maria Seidman, CEO and Luke Melia, CTO
Co-Founders of Yapp
The Yapp team attended ASAE’s Technology Conference & Expo (#Tech15) on December 14 and December 15, 2015. It was my first year attending and I had a wonderful time meeting association professionals, learning about challenges faced by various associations, and how adapting disruptive technology can help address those challenges or open doors to new opportunities.
I was floored to hear that many of the association executives had never heard of several free or affordable technology solutions that we rely on heavily on a day-to-day basis. Even more shocking was the fact that $1000s are being spent on paying vendors set-up fees when easy-to-use, self-service options with equivalent or more features are available. Why spend $1000s on a vendor or in-house tech resources when you can use more cost-effective alternatives?
Here is a list of 5 tools to save money and time for associations:
- Slack – Slack brings all your communication together in one place. You can connect all the tools you use to Slack seamlessly and the mobile app is very user-friendly. Believe it or not, we no longer use email at our company after we started using Slack!
Price: Starts Free. Official 501c3s get a 100% discount!
- Trello – Trello is a project management tool that helps teams and organizations of all sizes keep track of everything. It’s incredibly flexible so you can choose exactly how you’d like to set up the various teams, projects or tasks along with due dates, checklists and more!
Price: Majority of the features are free.
- Canva – Easily create beautiful designs and documents for any of your needs. choose from existing templates and plenty of free stock images.
Price: Free unless you’d like to use paid images or upload your association’s colors and font (though that’s free for nonprofits too)
- Zapier – You can easily connect apps you use, automate tasks and get more out of your data. No coding skills are required. You and your colleagues are guaranteed to be more productive with Zapier.
Price: Starts free. Paid plans are based on your usage and nonprofits get 15% off all plans.
- Calendly – A simple and effective scheduling tool so you can stop playing email tawww.g for any internal or external appointment moving forward. With the option to include specific questions for appointments, preparing for meetings is a breeze too!
Price: Starts free. Premium version is $8 per user/month
BONUS: Yapp – Yapp is truly one of the best tools for creating event apps. It’s easy, fast and affordable. No limits, no coding skills, no RFPs or long wait times involved. Just use the award-winning, self-service platform to create and publish apps instantly. At 90% cheaper than comparable solutions, Yapp is priced just right for budget-conscience nonprofits and associations!
As Director of Marketing for Yapp I might be biased, but David’s initial reaction when he first heard about Yapp at #Tech15 is definitely not!
David of ISPE with our CEO, Maria Seidman at #Tech15
— Yapp (@Yapp) December 16, 2015
On September 16, 2015, Apple released the newest version of it’s operating system for iPhones/iPads, iOS 9. There is a known issue for Yapp when using iOS 9.
I have upgraded my device to iOS 9. What does this mean for me?
If your device has been upgraded to iOS 9 and the Yapp app has a News Feed, Crowd Pics or Twitter page template, those pages will appear blank for the time being.
For Newsfeed and Crowd Pics pages, you can still add new content. You will receive a message that the upload failed. However, this content will be added to the feed. You can view this via the unique my.yapp.us URL preview on desktop, an iPhone running iOS 7 or iOS 8, or an Android device. This content will be available on your device when the iOS 9 compliant Yapp version is available on the iOS App Store.
You will continue to receive push notifications if you have them turned on. However, when you click through you will be taken to an empty page.
What is Yapp doing about it?
We have submitted the updated version that fixes the above issues to Apple and are currently awaiting approval. The Apple app approval process is typically 7 to 10 business days but could be delayed due to the rush of apps trying to get their iOS 9 updates through. We will post updates about this to this blog.
I created an app with these features that has to be used in the next two weeks. What should I do?
- If you have an iPhone, we recommend that you hold off on upgrading to iOS 9 for now. We will alert you again when the updated Yapp version has been approved by Apple.
- Remove these pages from your app for the time being or don’t add them for now. Note that your data will be lost if you delete these page types so be sure to export your data.
- If the pages are important to your app experience, alert your users right away about this known issue. They can choose to hold off upgrading as well.
We sincerely apologize in advance for any inconvenience or confusion this may cause. Please know we are doing what we can to expedite the fix. While we strive to provide the best experience for our app creators and your users, including one that is bug free, we are only human and sometimes issues like this do arise.
It’s due to this kind of complexity that we decided to start Yapp – so we can carry the burden of bug fixes, 4 AM work nights and approvals from Apple while you can focus on creating beautiful apps that are published instantly!
If you have any questions, concerns or feedback, please send us an email.
Savvy event planners have been using technology to their advantage at events for a long time. What do the latest announcements at the September 9th, 2015 #AppleEvent mean for the future of your events? Here’s our run-down of the major announcements along with what the implications of each could be on your upcoming events.
1. Supercharge the mobile app for your event with 3D Touch
What’s 3D Touch, you ask? This feature aims to make user experience smoother and faster. As described by Apple in the related Press article: “iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus introduce new ways to navigate and experience iPhone by sensing pressure to enable new gestures — Peek and Pop™ — so you can dip in and out of content without losing your place.” This will mean a host of possibilities for your in-house developers or mobile app company (spoiler alert: we here at Yapp are working on some ideas!)
Your attendees will save time (and taps) with the following:
- Preview tabs or pages of the app without clicking into them
- Get directions to your event location with just one deep press on the address in the event app
- Upload photos to the feed in the event app with just one click
- Deep press on another attendees photo for shortcuts to network with them or see their latest tweets about the event
- View documents without downloading them
2. Upgrade presentations at your events with Apple TV
Apple TV comes with a TV-optimized version of iOS (tvOS), Siri support (digital assistant at your event, anyone?), apps in the new app store and a snazzy new remote. Leverage the best of these enhancements and you’re guaranteed to wow your attendees with an engaging presentation. Make a powerful statement by quickly switching between apps or ask Siri questions to search your apps or the web. Create an animated screensaver showcasing logos, speaker information, sponsors and more. Why limit yourself to just PowerPoints?
3. Gamify your event with photo contests
Create buzz around your event with a photo contest. Make it a selfie contest where attendees can use the new 5MP HD-front-facing camera even if your event has low-lights. Or, ask attendees to tap into their creative side for a live photo contest using the unique new live photos feature for some cool giphy type photos. Then, post to your Yapp news feed.
4. Move aside computers and paper (and Microsoft Surface), enter iPad Pro
The newest iPad, iPad Pro, features a 12.9 inches screen (slightly larger than older versions), a multi-tasking tool, 2732 x 2048 pixels Retina display (better than even that for Macbook Pro), 10 hours of battery life and two stellar accessories: smart keyboard that attaches to the iPad and Apple Pencil with insane precision.
What does all these tablet enhancements mean for your events?
- Goodbye paper! Check-in using iPads just got faster (and might we say, cooler?)
- Need attendees to sign during check-in? That just got easier with an Apple Pencil.
- Your exhibition hall just got more interactive with live demos at booths using iPad Pro
- Expect more attendees on their iPads instead of computers using the new keyboard
- More easily and quickly create and edit apps from this powerful new tablet
Other major things we learned at the #AppleEvent?
5.Apple Watch just got more stylish with new gold and rose gold finishes as well as some designer collections such as the one from Hermes.
6. Apple is putting more emphasis on gaming (the new Apple TV remote has Wiimote-style controls).
8. There’s a new monthly payment plan for iPhones which includes AppleCare+ and option to get a new iPhone every year.
9. One Republic can be available for a concert in 10 minutes notice (“We didn’t even know we were playing until ten minutes ago” – Ryan Tedder of One Republic).
Are you ready to #Apple upgrade your events? What other tools and features do you use to enhance the event experience for your attendees?
All giphys here are from the Apple Events video.
Tomorrow, dear readers, is August. Are you feeling that summertime sadness yet? (We are!) But, with your smartphone in your hand, there’s no need to fear. Grab a friend or a relaxing park bench and dive into these apps. They’re sure to put a smile on your face and keep you entertained through the heat wave.
Last night on VH1’s wacky semi-reality show, Candidly Nicole, the socialite-turned-businesswoman Nicole Richie pitched to three investors, Shark Tank style. Yapp’s own CEO and co-founder, Maria Seidman, was one of the lucky three along with investors Damon John and Kevin Harrington.
Catch the full episode online now at VH1, or watch it below.
Plus, things get even more candid in this bonus clip from the episode:
Okay, somehow it’s already mid-July (?!) and the dog days have settled in. It’s hot. But that shouldn’t keep you from enjoying the outdoors (do you remember how you felt in January, dying for the muggy sweat of July sunshine??) We say get outside and embrace it already!
We found 3 of our favorite apps to aid you in your next adventure — from keeping your skin safe to packing the right shorts for a hike. Go ahead, enjoy the dog days of summer like pup with his head on the car window.